Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

MY INSTAGRAM DAY IN MANHATTAN

We had an amazing weekend in New York City, visiting Amanda's good friend Beth Miller who was getting married in Great Neck, Long Island.  While everyone was preparing for the special evening, I ventured into the city, channeling the spirit of my nine year old self, with the goal of making it to the top of the Empire State Building by noon, hoping to either run into King Kong or better yet, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.   See, the last time I was up there I was a young boy on a trip with my family over the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade.  We stayed at my Aunt Judy's apartment in Chelsea.  Saw practically everything you can see in a weeks time. 

I was sad not to have Amanda by my side, but worse yet, my girls, to share in the fun of traveling 86 floors and then to the 102nd, like when I was younger, to see the world from a different perspective.  All in good time, all in good time. 

The journey was liberating, I felt like a true New Yorker venturing in on the LIRR to Penn Station, then on foot to 5th Avenue. 

At the top nothing but clear skies for miles, beyond Liberty Island and the Brooklyn Bridge, deep into Jersey, and of course back up to Central Park and beyond Harlem. It puts a lot into perspective at the top. The world is a big place. We are but small pieces of the larger puzzle. 

My day didn't stop there, I LOVE NYC shirts and replica ESB statues for the girls, and a photography book for me.

Afterward I ventured down 5th to Madison Squate Park, the Flat Iron Building, families playing and enjoying the 60s plus temperature.  Everyone happy. 

Eventually my day trip came to a close and I needed to get back to Great Neck. Amanda and I were mesmerized earlier as to the process of getting on a train at Penn Station, everyone waiting patiently, almost like the winning lottery numbers were to be announced at any moment, but in this case what track your train would depart from back to Long Island. We waited, waited a little more until the track number displayed on the board and dashed like children to track 16 for a ride home. I bet it never gets old!

Until the next time, #iheartnyc. 











No comments:

Post a Comment