Flash Required to view this area.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

JIM MARSHALL



Jim Marshall, Feb 3, 1936 - Mar 24, 2010

Legendary rock photographer Jim Marshall, famous for his iconic images of Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, and countless other rock icons sadly passed away Wednesday in New York City. He was 74.

Marshall's most famous images found their way countless times onto record covers, magazines, newspapers and posters. One of his most famous shots was that of Johnny Cash giving the middle finger to the camera at San Quentin State Prison 1969. Others include Jimmy Hendrix setting fire to his guitar at the Monterey Pop Festival 1967 and that classic shot of Janis Joplin sprawled out on a couch holding a bottle of Southern Comfort 1968.

Marshall lived most of his life in San Francisco. By a chance encounter in 1959 with a jazz musician simply asking for directions, Jim snapped a quick picture that forever changed his life. That artist was none other than John Coltrane. From there it was onward and upward.

I admired Jim a great deal and though I never met him, I often visited the Duncan Miller Gallery in Culver City to marvel at his work. I was recently there a few months ago when they had a Woodstock tribute. So many amazing images and colors that just can't be captured today.

Prior to my obsession with photography which only started about three years ago, I first came across Jim's work when visiting Samy's Camera in Los Angeles. The stairwell at the Samy's on Fairfax is lined with a number of Jim's famous shots. Walking up those stairs to the third floor, I always take my time...I still do to and stare in awe at Marshall's work. From there I bought my first book, "PROOF," which I proudly have on display in my office at Paramount. It sits on my coffee table right next to my first book.

Jim thank you for all the great frames. My love for photography has stemmed from seeing what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment